Friday 6 August 2010

BEDA - Day Six - The Social Network

After a couple of months of watching the teaser and the trailer, I am definitely very, very, very interested in the film, The Social Network. I love that it's about something so very "now" and I love that it's about figures that I've already read about and discussed with my friends and I love all the scandal behind Facebook and the drama behind the film itself.

I've already discussed Facebook a few posts back, so I'm going to focus on the film.

I love how it is shot; the colour "theme" (if I can call it that, I'm a noob when it comes to critiquing/analyzing/knowing much of anything about film production) during the school years of the film and how it's so dark and almost sepia like, giving Harvard and that "exclusive" life they talk about, that old world touch, making it seem distant and unreachable. The brief snippets of the actors performances seem very likable, and I have noticed that so many of East Coast actors (whether they are born there or playing it) have these lovely, deep, I'm-an-asshole voices (really only when listening to, "this idea is potentially worth millions of dollars" and "let's sue him in federal court"

The trailer is so well done. Whoever edited it deserves an award for Awesome Trailer of Awesomeness. The screen-capture intro matching the words to song is quite literal, yes, but still so well timed, that it makes the song Creep by Radiohead fit this online world so perfectly you wonder why you had not related it solely to Internet Life before (because despite what people I admire say, I like to consider my time on the Internet different to my Real Life, because I like to think that this is just a faze and my real life will begin soon... oh God, that's so depressing and makes those I mentioned so much for right about this... anyway, I'm going off point...).

The screen capture of the Facebook site goes for almost a minute before we see any shots or hear any dialogue from the film, and it's amazing that they were able to fit so much intriguing footage and dialogue into 1 min and 30 seconds.

Also, the shot at 2:01 of a woman (I don't know who she is in the film) with tears of what almost seems like horror or shock in her eyes is really beautiful. I can't wait to find out who she is. I'm refusing to visit the IMDB page or 500millionfriends website because I don't want to get even more carried away.

Plus, that ending, so brilliantly obnoxious. I'm not a part of the Gawker-lifestyle of people who are really interested in that world and invest in the drama surrounding it, and thank goodness, else I'd be even crazier about this film, but I can't wait to watch it. I think I'm so excited because it's based on true events and is now being immortalized in film, and there is something very special about how certain random events can one day be capsulized in a film.

Anyway, blah blah blah, a few people have been making parodies of the trailer. I saw one for eBay and YouTube, both of which were okay, but the best one (and I'm sure it's not just because so many of my pals are in it) is for Twitter by IndyMogul. Check it out here if you haven't see it already. And, so, because it's been in my head for a while now, I thought I'd make a text parody relevant to my life right now. Just to be self-indulgent in the spirit of Facebook. Right?

*This won't make sense if you don't know the Internet-version of me and what I'm up to or if you haven't watched the trailers/parodies... I recommend watching both first. Or just skipping this completely to watch them. Good plan*


**Better yet play the trailer and read my blog at the same time. It fits quite well, surprisingly**

I don't care if it hurts,
I wanna have control
I want a perfect body
I want a perfect soul

I want you to notice
When I'm not around
You're so very special
I wish I was special...

Brain: I need to completely roadblock your life by keeping you up all night on the Internet.
Me: Why?
Brain: Because a healthy lifestyle leads to progress and success and makes you wash your clothes.

But I'm a creep

Brain: I want you to go on the Internet and live your life through other people, and there are a few really great websites where you can do that...

I'm a weirdo

Me: You're talking about completely distracting me from work and keeping me up 'til 4am online?

What the hell am I doing here?

Concerned Friend: You spent twenty-two minutes updating your Twitter feed?
Me: Hours. Twenty-two hours.

I don't belong here.

Brain: That tumblr post could potentially lead to millions of followers.
Me: Millions?

Concerned Friend: She's always on that website.
Me: My friends are saying that I'm on Facebook too much -
Brain: I know what they say.
Me: So am I!?

She's running out again

Brain: One video every month isn't cool. You know what's cool? Thirty videos.

Me: I'm going to get left behind. Life is moving faster than I could have possibly imagined.
Brain: You've already been left behind.

Concerned Friend: Let's shut down her Time Warner account!

Brain: I can't wait to watch your eyes burn up and for you to become a complete insomniac.
Me: If you think that's going to happen... then let me just tweet that that's going to happen.

She's running out

Me: Are there any videos I haven't watched yet!?

Boss: Your actions could have permanently destroyed everything I've been working on.
Me: LOL. "Working on." Right.

She run, run, run...

Brain: Did you like only having 1000 followers? Do you want to go back to that?

Me: SLEEP!!!

Run

YOU DON'T BECOME A DYSFUNCTIONAL HUMAN BEING

Brain: Your life is online.

WITHOUT A TWITTER, FACEBOOK, TUMBLR, YOUTUBE, SKYPE, AIM, DIGG, ETC, ACCOUNT.

Concerned Friend: You're being accused of intentionally sleeping in all day, violating the Internet, lurking on male profiles...

Run

Concerned Fried: Your best friend is traveling the world and you haven't left your basement in 6 days.

...

Me: As for your concern, I believe I deserve a few "likes" from everyone.
Concerned Friend: Uh, I'm sorry?
Me: Yes.
Concerned Friend: I can't "like" something you say out loud.
Me: Then what is the point?

I don't belong here.

Oh, Life. I remember when I accomplished things and felt good about myself. Those were the days...

5 comments:

Chris in the Studio said...

Remember when Forest Gump ran to S.F. and back?

Anonymous said...

I don't like that you don't seem happy. If quitting the internet will change that, why not do it?

AdamsAbstract said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ADB said...

There are times when we don't like who we are, or what we have become.
But we are who we are, influenced by our family,friends and things that have happened to us in our lives, but our roots are in our genes. I'm a geek and no amount of training will ever get rid of my geekiness or give me confidence around women. I have come to accept and embrace that, and enjoy life my way.
I'll round up with a lame (sort-of-related) joke:

One DNA strand said to the other: "Do my genes make me look fat?"

Anonymous said...

http://eekshop.com
2.He likes because they are with all your family members He will do everything do nothing more than thereby she / he are going to hurry a number of the a short time to have you Even about whether or not your place about have the desired effect is that often far,he / she will finish judging by sporadically The boyfriend or husband not only can they then let them know all your family members that he / she was in your area and to thing to consider about visiting all your family members Then they will ask your family to explore are engaged all around the a breakfast every day date so that you have kale.

Totals