Friday, 14 March 2008
What Did I Learn From SXSW?
1. Austin, Texas is very quiet.
2. I’ve had better “Mexican” food in Australia.
3. The weather was sucky.
4. My room at the Hyatt Hotel didn’t have a Mini Bar = HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.
5. The Austin Airport is its own city, but its probably the nicest airport I’ve ever seen...right up there with Brisbane International Airport or Sydney Domestic. EDIT: And Chicago's.
6. SXSW is probably really interesting if you actually get up in time to go to a panel.
7. The people are really nice.
8. Don’t go to SXSW if you have either of the following:
a) A love of sleep
b) A problem with getting up before 10
c) A cold
d) A job that you enjoy that will keep you in your hotel room on a conference call, and missing all the panels you actually wanted to go to.
All in all, SXSW was a gigantic waste of times in many ways. In other ways, it was a little Gem of a Weekend, because I got to meet some brilliant new people and was locked in a room where I could get things done.
Next year, I’ll take a whole week off and enjoy it.