Music is best when recommended and shared by humans, not iTunes bots, which is what I don't enjoy about iTunes Genius, this list of keywords and algorithms than can pin-point interests... well, it just makes one feel predictable, and even though most of us are predictable to a certain extent, nobody likes to feel that way.
So here is Genius-I-Guess Recommendations #2 (hopefully I'll sporadically explore this as I notice it from time to time)
1. Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley - I already own and adore this, iTunes... and now I don't whether you knew I would or whether this is just an error. Sadface.
2. On The Radio - Regina Spektor - I already own this album, haven't yet placed it on my macs - she's just one artist you can't really predict, you think she's going for a simple pop angle and then bwarkbopbloopmork she's back to being the oddball we love.
3. Lisa Says - Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground - I must investigate! How freaking awesome.
4. Golden Age - TV On the Radio - didn't spark any interest for me.
5. She's Expensive - The Virgins - you know, I don't think I like his voice... I'm not really feeling them right now. Is this a mistake? Aren't they quite popular? Maybe its just this track? But it feels very 90s-and-I-can't-really-sing-because-I-was-too-busy-buying-Doc Martens-to-go-to-my-lessons. Insult?
6. WHOA! The Beginning is the End is the Beginning - The Smashing Pumpkins - OKAY, I'm confused. Are there TWO songs by the smashing pumpkins called, The End is the Beginning is the End and The Beginning is the End is the Beginning or is a number of sites just getting really bloody confused? Firstly, I'm fairly certain that wasn't in the list when I started my previous blog, I think it may have turned up after I went to Amazon Music to look at the Batman Forever soundtrack, but HOW DOES IT KNOW? If it did happen to be up there before I started this vlog, then that's a crazy coincidence and I need to give iTunes Genius a little more credit. There. Did it.
7. Starts With One - Shiny Toy Guns - I'm just not in the mood for a belting lad with a little smattering of auto-tuning in there... usually I'd be more susceptible to it (my love for Panic at the Disco, anyone?) but not right now.
8. Ooh La La - Goldfrapp - just not in the mood for dance tracks either.
9. Last Christmas - Jimmy Eat World - any true fan of The O.C. Seasons One and Two (the rest don't exist, nuh-uh) owns the Christmas soundtrack the fabulous Josh Schwartz and Alexandra Patsavas which includes this song... or any true fan of Jimmy Eat World, of course!
10. Volcano - Damien Rice - now he was here before I started my list, and I still like his "ache".
They are also recommending that I listen to The All-American Rejects, Wilco, Andy Park, the 007: Quantum of Solace soundtrack, the P.S. I Love You soundtrack, Interpol, Kings of Leon (I just can't indulge them right now), Allie Moss, Karen O's Hello Tomorrow (adidas version), Vanessa Carlton (ugh, you like one Christian Rock artist and they throw them all at you), the Xanadu soundtrack (WTF?), the Braveheart soundtrack, Tyga (who?), Interpol (again!), Fleet Foxes and Allie Moss (way to pressure me, iTunes).
Highlights from the Movie Recommendations:
Sydney White - Oh, Amanda Bynes, I will try (very, very hard) to not let my love for you die!
Zombie Strippers - what have I watched that made this recommendation, okay? Alright, fine, I would probably watch it.
Beverly Hill's Chihuahua - Are you fucking kidding me?
Thoughts on the Television Recommendations:
90210 - after seeing the cover of Nylon emblazoned with the shows stars, I thought about maybe trying to get into the series return, but it never happened. Problem?
Greek - if Jessica Rose had an even regular spot on this show, I would probably watch it even more, there's nothing more fun than watching people emerging from the swamps of the Internet.
America's Next Top Model - SHUTUP!HOWDAREYOU!I'MSPEAKINGTOYOULIKETHISCUZILOVEYOU!RAWRSMIZESMIZE! I love this show. It's so much fun. I mainly like the creative photo shoots, but I always forget to watch it. I can't believe its up to Cycle 13 - so many Tyra moments missed!
The Best Years - I've never heard of this show and my internet is too slow to play a preview - thoughts?
The Universe - " " " "
Sonny With a Chance - I want to love this show because I adore Demi Lovato and I see it much more than usual due to hanging out with some youngin's these days, but it's just not as enjoyable as iCarly or Wizards of Waverly Place (oh my, what is wrong with me?), which is not the actors faults, because they are all actually super talented and Demi is adorable... okay, I need to hang out with adults.
The Colbert Report - oh, how I wish I could be one of those people that could easily make late-night TV and talk shows a part of her schedule, but I always forget!
Dollhouse - I think I'm waiting for it to be inevitably cancelled, and then I'll cry and say, I can't believe they cancelled it and I missed the hype around the show, and then I'll buy all the episodes and join the bandwagon when the movie is made... yes? (I'm terrible, I need to love up those folks more often)
Battlestar Galactica - Luke was really into this series, and I'd watch snippets with him from time to time, I like a lot of the actors in it, so I definitely want to get into this series one day, even though it's over : (
FlashForward - I had to investigate this show for a proposal I was writing last year, and ended up being really excited about it and wanted to get into it. I liked the pilot and the tie ins with the LOST universe (Oceanic Airlines advertisement in the background, anyone?) but I never watched it. I'm just not a TV person.
Leverage - I've never heard of this show and my internet is too slow to play a preview - thoughts?
LOST - I cannot watch it until its over and now that I keep hearing the hype around the latest season, I want it to be over so badly. My Mum and I use to watch the show every Thursday evening after I got home from Theatre Class and we loved it. When Season Two started, rehearsals for our play started to go late and I missed an episode and then another one, and this was before you could catch up online, so it started to become impossible to enjoy (some people can do it, I can't) without the previous episodes information, so I haven't watched it since. I want the box sets, I want a long, long weekend, and I want it really soon. Hurry up, LOST folks!
The Secret Life of the American Teenager - I kind of want to make this a guilty pleasure, like what One Tree Hill must be to a lot of people, but it hasn't happened.
Speaking of... One Tree Hill - NOPE! I can't do it! I'm sorry! I just... no. I know! But, yeah. No.
Lincoln Heights - See 'Secret Life of American Teenager' notes, but with less interest since I don't know anything about it.
The Soup - the guy that's now in Community. Right? That's pretty cool that he was able to go from Host to Actor, that doesn't happen that often and usually without as much acclaim that Community has had.
Bones - I use to adore David Boreanaz and so I'd probably like this show, but again, my lack of skill for being a TV watcher, the lack of complete access to shows online and lack of money to waste on things I probably don't really need to see keep me from watching it.
The Sarah Silverman Show - I want to watch this, I saw a few episodes in 2007 and thought it was hilarious.
That's So Raven - even when I had cable, I just wasn't interested in the show.
Hannah Montana - I watch this more than I would like, that's really all that I have to say.
All those recommendations and all I want to do is listen to Vampire Weekend, my valentines gift: the Youth In Revolt soundtrack and watch The Hurt Locker and Mad Men. ALL AT THE SAME TIME. WHOOOAAAAAASKABANG!
I'd would actually really like to see any links in my comments to blog posts discussing your own Genius suggestions, I might like what they suggest more than you do : )